Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

New Digs

Hi folks...
Yep new digs.
I am moving as was obvious a month ago.
Contact info will change a little.
The email addy will stay the same;
Troutgetter@aol.com
Physical mailing address will be;
M. Shay
96633 Pinon Village Rd
Inyokern, CA 93527

The actual location is a little place named Kennedy Meadows in CA in the southern Sierra.
For me it will be 1/4 mile from heaven...The south fork of the Kern. A half hour to the Kern Plateau and little Golden's, Two hours by jeep trail to Monache Meadows. This was pretty much always my home water. I am only in AZ because I was spawning and when the river dropped I was stranded on a gravel bar.

If you ever want to check weather conditions before making the trek to fish (or see me) you can go here and see what's what.

(No, I won't be in Inyokern. Inyokern is little better or worse than where I now reside. The US Guberment has decided that mail can and will be delivered to Kennedy Meadows by the Inyokern PO. Funny they can't even do that in Congress AZ but I ain't complaining.)

Now as slow as the damn donkey that delivered mail to Congress was, I suspect that the same poor beast will also deliver mail to this address. I ain't complaining. Not at all!
Once I'm in there, I will apparently have a phone and so I will also have Internet even if it's somewhat sporadic. So my email addy will not change.
I will also have a phone number.
It will be;
559-850-7429 (SHAY) heh heh...

Anyway...the new place is going to be a 'bit' on the rustic end of the spectrum. No water, no electricity except what Mr. Honda provides and rodmaking is going to change for me.

When I first started making rods, I taught myself to make a rod two ways. With electricity and without.
I am going to be doing a LOT of things without firing up a generator. Your rod will be more 'handmade' than ever.
While I will have eliminated a lot of recurring monthly charges (rent, electric bill) I will still be a slave to intangibles (water begging, fuel for generator, denatured alcohol, sandpaper, etc) and the extra time needed to complete a task that would have taken moments or minutes with plug in power. Supplies that were just around the corner (so to speak) here in AZ will involve a day trek down the mountain and back. That's going to be pricey in this part of CA.
So I don't expect the actually cost of making a rod for you to be any less, but it could actually take longer. I'll find out for sure once I can actually get all my tools up there and set up. For now, I'll more than gladly honor any order at the price of $1395.00 if you're willing to have a bit of patience. The price may go up or down later but if you order it at that price, I will deliver it.

Anyway...the new shop right now is nothing more than a shack my dad built 40 years ago. This is not the same shack I'm going to try and live in. It's going to need a decent sized addition to make it work, not to mention windows. I'll need to find a new home for all the clutter and stuff in there right now...assuming my neighbors haven't stolen everything and cleaned it out for me.
This won't be the first task once I'm outa AZ. The first will be getting yet ONE MORE roof on the cabin. This will be the fifth roof in 20 something years. I'm sure this one won't last any longer. The last roof I put on blew off in a year or two and I haven't put one on in well over ten years. I expect to pretty much find the place a train wreck with the governor sending in another train in a matter of moments.

Anyways...the object of this page is to let you know I'm NOT out of business. I'm just rearranging things and it will take a while to get it sorted out. If all goes as planned, I will have my tools out of storage in the spring, shop set up and making rods by summer.

Luv,
Mike

3 comments:

  1. Kennedy Meadows has three roads - Kennedy Meadows Road, Uphill Road, and The Other Road ... now that's cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true!
    The other road dead ends at a campground and the uphill road is one of the few roads that cross the sierra. Closed until spring this time of year. It's pretty much one road in, one road out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that was me...maybe I can actually reply to folks comments now...

    ReplyDelete