Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Well, it's been two months since I've posted anything.
My bad.
Not mine entirely but I'll take at least partial blame.

The move has been made. I'm now in the southern Sierra and just freaking loving it.

The last box was packed and on the truck/trailer at 4:00 AM Saturday morning March 10. Fueled up in Congress at a price that was 50 cents a gallon more than I paid two days before. Arrived in Kennedy Meadows 9 hours later (+/- accounting for doggy pee pee breaks and fuel) Saturday afternoon.

The place was just as big a dump as it was last time I saw it. No fairies had come to tidy up before I got there. I was disappointed.

Anyway...we got there. Once there it was chilly. In the 40's I'd guess as best as I can remember.

First chore...unload live animals and get them protected and warm. No easy feat off the bat. For a lizard or snake accustomed to 80Fdegrees, warming up the shack was going to take a while. No roofing, no propane, no wood gathered. Still they had to get out of the truck or trailer or they would turn into frozen sticks shortly.
So I gather wood sticks laying around. Plenty of them to be picked up. Start a fire, move the creatures in (a bunch of them) move the very basic essentials in, deal with new nosey neighbors who need to know what's happening here, get ready for dinner (purchased at the largest Albertson's I've ever seen) fuel up the 15 something year old generator with fresh fuel, pull the cord and the foker fires right up. A light bulb burns and the microwave is ready to heat up some mac&cheese. Foking perfect!
Next day is Sunday. Day of rest? Shit NO!
The first night here was colder than any appendage hanging off a witch! I mean cold brother! I was looking up TROUGH my roof at the stars all night. Throwing sticks on the fire, not logs, sticks. Just trying to keep it burning. Sunday was spent throwing rocks at sticks, breaking them up, building a gi-normous pile of sticks to throw on the fire every fifteen minutes all night long. No help at all after all that work.
Time to fire up the chainsaw and try and put her to work! Sunday morning temp 14F. Clear as a bell. Just cold!
Mixed some fuel for the chainsaw and got her fired up. Two trees down over my "driveways." Plenty of fuel to keep the wolves away tonight.
Did we stay warm? Fook no! Colder yet this night but wood to burn and I spent a sleepless night keeping the fire stoked and blazing. I watched the same stars pass overhead through the cracks in the roof, waited for "dawn" and the sun.
Next day was Monday and by god my birthday!
Happy Fooking Birthday! You made it to 59!
Busy throwing wood on a fire that helped little if any when a knock at the door. WTF?
It's the telephone guys here to put in my phone! Contact with the outside world is minutes or hours away! LOL!

So....we meet and greet. He tells me that the line is coming right through "here" and we'll have you hooked up by noon(ish).
It was 1 PM when they were through. I blame Bonniethedog as she insisted on the guys throwing the frisbee for her instead of working. They obliged.
Now while I took pics of the process of installing the phone line, none would upload to the bucket and you'll have to take my word that laying that line four feet deep in a pile of rocks was a feat. Done and back filled new free driveway smoothed out and I fire up the generator and try and get online.
Nada,zip.
Computer did not survive the trip.
So I yak at Ahmed in India and he tries to sort out my problems. No luck.
He tells me a new disk is on the way and I'll have it in two to five working days. It shows up 3 days ago after three phone calls and three reassurances that it's "processing."

So...it's still my gotam birthday...phone is in, wood is cut, it's afternoon and I want to do something fun.
I take Bonnie for a stroll!
A quarter mile down the road is the river. I want to at least see some water and maybe a fish or two rising. Off we go. Bonnie two hundred yards ahead of me, having some fun for her own damn self.

First thing we see is this...
[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/Troutgetter/IMGP0846.jpg[/IMG]
Getting there...
Next is...
[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/Troutgetter/IMGP0841-1.jpg[/IMG]
Shit, get ready for winter! It's colder than all hell and almost Spring! Anyway, don't drive much further or you'll get stuck and you won't get you vehicle back until spring! Maybe.
A bit further and then a post stuck in the dirt letting you know that the Pacific Crest Trail crosses the road here. This trail has gotten quite popular in recent years apparently.

A little further on and we come to the bridge.
There is a cattle guard before the bridge and Bonnie has never dealt with on before. It's the jan-u-wine article made of railroad ties and she doesn't know how to cross it. It was really quite funny watching her try to figure out how. I had to show her the way around it. She now hates them.

After crossing the guard and approaching the river we saw this...
[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/Troutgetter/IMGP0844-2.jpg[/IMG]
Downstream view...upstream view is prettier but I couldn't get it to load on the bucket.

Spent a bit of time there ,watching and hoping for fish to stick their noses out but nothing showed, but there was a river dammit! I was not in AZ anymore!
We walked back to an uneventful rest of the day and night and a couple days later this!
[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y252/Troutgetter/IMGP0853-3.jpg[/IMG]
Lasted about a day.
Fooking awesome!
More later brothers!
Generator's running out of fuel...

2 comments:

  1. AGUABONITO amigo!
    fishing season is about to open right?
    about time to start scheming...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes sir!
    Opened yesterday in fact.
    Scheme away!
    Get here!

    ReplyDelete