Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

movin' along

Well, the blank has been glued, the glue heat set and as of this morning, the last tip has been sanded.
The blank is now ready to be cut to final length and ferrules glued on.

The sanding involves for me, 60gr, 100gr, 220gr, 320gr, 500 grit. I used to continue to 1200 -1500gr, but I found it pretty useless, non-noticeable with no real benefit. Just burning up time and expensive sandpaper.

Here's an idea of the amount of sandpaper needed to get to 500gr...
And the somewhat finished product...

Now before I can consider this actually finished, the ferrules will need to be mounted and glued and a grip is to be installed on this particular blank.
So more when I get to that...

As an "edit thing" to the previous post, I had to make two new strips for this blank. One of the things I had neglected to take a picture of was the roughed out strip. By roughed out, I mean the strip is run through the rougher to achieve an equilateral 60 degree triangle.

Now as you can see, not all apexes are sharp. I don't care about this at this point. What I care about is that the angles cut are 60 degrees. The planing forms and a bit of skill will create the final taper.
Right now this strip will nest quite nicely in the forms.

So more later as the ferrule stations are cut, rod sections cut to final length, ferrules glued, and the cork rings glued on and then turned into a grip my bud wants...

No comments:

Post a Comment